Monday, September 26, 2011

Your search ends here.....

Gluten free cranberry cinnamon applesauce muffins!

For the perfect gluten free muffin. Yup, that's right. And I'm gonna share it, cause I can not believe that after almost a year of gluten free baking, that I finally came up with the perfect combo of flours and other ingredients. Whew.
Ya, seriously, it's been a year of trial and error trying to find a muffin that wouldn't crumble to sand when you touched it. Or so dense, that you feel like you just ate a meal. The other great thing about this recipe is that, they are low sugar, and dairy free as well. I am telling you, this muffin recipe is at least just as good, if not BETTER than any regular flour muffin you've ever made. There I said it. Makin big claims over here, but just make them once. Then I'm sure you'll come back here and tell me how much you love me, haha.
I have made this recipe 3 different ways now. Banana blueberry, Pumpkin spice, and Cranberry cinnamon applesauce. After the first two batches the winner was cranberry cinnamon applesauce. When I perfect the first two, I'll share those as well.
Alright enough talk. Let's bake some gluten free goodness!

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cranberry Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins
 makes: 18 -20 med. sized muffins         Bake at 350F for 15-25 minutes

Dry ingredients:
1 1\2 Cups brown rice flour
3\4 Cups tapioca flour or starch
3\4 Cups potato starch
1 1\2 tsp xanthan gum (can substitute guar gum)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
Whisk all dry ingredients together, in a medium size bowl, till well incorporated.
Next, in a separate medium size bowl mix together:
1 1\2 Cup of organic unsweetened cinnamon applesauce
1\2 Cup date paste (to make date paste blend or process about 10 dates with 1\4 - 1\2C. water) * (instead of date paste you could add another 1\2 cup of apple sauce)
10 Tbs. omega or olive oil
1\2 Cup maple syrup or agave
Once well mixed, then beat in 2 eggs.
Then stir in flour mixture.
Next fold in:
1 Cup frozen or fresh cranberries
1 Cup cinnamon chips (optional)

Once everything is mixed, if it seems a little stiff or too thick for muffin batter I added about 1\4 - 1\2 Cup of vanilla coconut milk. You could use any milk alternative you like though. Then spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake till slightly golden on top, and toothpick is clean when inserted.

Et Voila....... A thing of beauty. The perfect gluten free muffin.

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate. Let me know what you think!
~ Katrina

2 comments: